Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Utah

At the end of June we had the chance to go to Utah for a little "family reunion." There was massive drama surrounding the organization, timing, etc. of the "reunion" (Dave was the unsuccessful planner) but we had a great time, nonetheless.

For family night we all headed to Thanksgiving Point to visit the farm. The kids had a great time looking at all the animals and Zach even rode on a horse. This might not seem like a big deal but Zach gets really scared/shy about things like this so when he just walked up and stood in line for the horse back riding my jaw dropped. I'm not sure if it was peer pressure (all the older cousins were riding too) but it worked. I was so happy that he got to experience this because it's usually like pulling teeth to get him to try something new. I shouldn't really care, I guess, if he does things or not but I just want him to be exposed to all different kinds of things because I think it's good for kids but mainly because it's fun.

Zach's little face was pricless. He was so proud of himself. I think all the other aunts and uncles were thinking Dave and I were crazy for getting so pumped for Zach but it was a huge step for him.

We also went on a wagon ride, which the kids thought was pretty cool.
While waiting for the pizza, Porter and Zach ran around tackling each other non-stop. Poor Zach is so deprived of quality boy time back home in CO so he was having the best time rough-house with his cousin.

Poor Zach was so tired he could barely walk straight. He was getting so frustrated that he had no muscle strength or energy to fight back but heck, when you wake up at 5am and don't get to bed until 9pm-- YOU ARE GOING TO BE VERY TIRED! Regardless, Zach loves his cousin Porter and had a very fun night. What cute cousins!

On Tuesday night we all went a Bee's baseball game. I had never been to one of these games but I was more than impressed with all the things they had for kids. We sat on the lawn section of the stadium (a dream with kids),


rode the train, let the kids run wild on the playground and ate yummy treats. We all had a great night.

I cannot get over this picture of these three. What cute girl cousins, all within a month of each other! I hope they become close, great friends through the years.
The day after the baseball game (Wednesday, June 24th), Amanda, Meghan and I took our oldest kids to Lagoon (Utah's sorry excuse for an amusement park :) for a HOT, fun-filled day of rides. Zach had never been to an amusement park before so I was wondering how much he would like/hate it. He was pretty serious while riding the rides (I love that serious little face) but afterwards he would come running to me with a huge smile on his face. Since being back home Zach asks to go to "Gagoon" all the time.

Thursday morning the whole Maughan clan headed up to the cabin for a day of relaxation, hikes, naps and quality family time. When we first arrive at the cabin we all help clean up-- sweep, mow the lawn, etc. Zach, being the legitimate hard worker that he is, asked to help so Dave gave him a screw driver and I swear that kid went around to every table, chair, etc. in and out of the cabin "fixing"each one for over an hour. Julianne on the other hand found a candy bar and planted herself down by the river to relax and enjoy her treat.
After dinner Paul and Susan planned out a little treasure hunt for all the kids. They are such cute grandparents. The kids loved the game and Julianne's prize was quite a hit.

I just love this picture of "Nana" Hanks. She is one of the strongest, happiest and sweetest ladies I know. Thank you Grandma for letting us use your cabin. We love you!

On Friday we all headed up to Park City to celebrate Claire and Emily's birthdays. What a good lookin' group.
The park we went to was so fun. The kids had a great time playing on the jungle gym, swinging in the swings and climbing up the climbing rock.
Cupcake Heaven!
We had a great week in Utah. Thanks everyone for a great trip and thank you Porter for letting Zach ride your bike all day, everyday!

No comments: