As most of you know, Zach gave up his nap shortly after he turned two but each day it becomes more apparent how much he really needs one. Since birth this child has not wanted to sleep. When Zach was only a few months old he would wake up at 6am, on the dot, and stay awake forever. Friends would come over around noon and ask if he just got up from his "morning" nap and I would say, "oh no, he hasn't even thought about closing his eyes since this morning?" Before Julianne was born I just thought I was a lousy Mom because I tried every technique, read every book and I just couldn't get the kid to sleep. Needless to say, he is chronically tired and could potentially fall asleep at any point in the day, if he allowed himself to. As most of you also know, Dave has magical powers over Zach. When we were trying to potty train Zach all it took was Dave telling him (after completely soaking through his diaper at church) that he was too big for diapers and that it was time to wear big boy underwear. He has never looked back and has only had ONE accident. Awesome! I only wish I had the same magical powers. When I want Zach to do something he usually opts to do the exact opposite and acts like I'm the one with the problem. To get to my story, one Sunday I had meetings after church so Dave was in charge of feeding the kids lunch and putting Julianne down for a nap. Dave was really tired that day and told me that he was going to take a nap with Zach. Good luck! I, like Zach, am chronically tired too and would give the world if I could get him to nap during the week. I have tried bribery, force, threats, locking him in his room and begging, but to no avail. After about 5 months I gave up. Well I came home that Sunday to a completely quite house and what did I find upstairs in our room.... yes, Zach and Dave fast asleep. He slept for 3 hours! I asked Dave what he did and he said that he just "talked Zach through it" and then they both fell asleep. Are you kidding me! Why? Anyway, here are a few pics of this day.
This is a picture from our unsuccessful family photo session from this past October. It was only 5pm but Julianne was starving and Zach was exhausted making for an eventful hour of picture taking. Look at Zach's face. It is the same tired face as the above picture of him when he was only 6 months old.
2 comments:
i will never understand him, seriously! so did he stay up until midnight that sunday he actually did take a nap? and he would never do that with you if you laid down with him? so sad...i'm sorry! i can't believe that picture of him when he was six months old, he's like dazzed!
miss and love you guys...
those little pictures of zach are how i remember him!
we're having a similar issue right now with emery, although definitely not as bad. she is 8 months now and still needs two naps. she takes a morning nap just fine but screams all through her afternoon one and then is melting down by dinnertime cuz she's so tired!
Post a Comment